Monday, December 1, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving



This is a little bit late, but my computer had to be fixed last week. I just wanted to wish all of you a happy Thanksgiving and a good start to the holiday season. There are many blessings in life, and I'm grateful for every single one in mine.

My family stayed home this year, but the day was still eventful and filled with memories — like when our stove caught on fire as Dad pulled out the turkey. Yep...next time we'll use the counter-top roaster. We saved the bird, but our quiche and green bean casserole were toast. The mood was lightened considerably when my Dad (who is partially deaf and can't hear every fire alarm in the house going off) stood fanning the smoke long after the noise died asking "is it off yet?" I'm thankful that I have a family with enough humor to let me share that story, ha ha. 

This was also the first year I didn't really have to cook anything. Both of my sisters have reached an age where they can read and understand recipes, so they kicked me out of the kitchen while they practiced their new skill. All I had to do was sit at the counter and answer questions when one of my handwritten notes didn't make sense to them.

After dinner, we piled into my parents' room and watched Happy Thanksgiving Charlie Brown and Night in the Museum 1 and 2. Seeing Robin Williams on screen after his death earlier this year made me think of his family and how awful they must feel on their first Thanksgiving without him. Hopefully God will help them heal. I'm sure the holidays will never be the same for them again, and it hurts to think of anyone going through that kind of pain. I hope that same comfort will be received by all who've lost a loved one and are still going through the stages of grief.

Then, of course, I went Black Friday shopping with my friends (on Black Friday...not on Thanksgiving). Along with being a good opportunity to check off some items on my Christmas gift giving list, I always like hanging out with my girls on this day....as long as no one makes me get up at 0:30 in the morning. The photo below was taken by my dear friend and fellow blogger, A.M. Wied.



Family, good friends, and good food — like I said...lots to be thankful for. 

How was your Holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment