Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays — Literary Romances



Hello again, everyone! It's Tuesday, and this time I'm going to list my favorite literary couples. I haven't read most of these books in a while, so I'm basing my opinions on memories of the plot lines. Hopefully you enjoy reading about them.

 1. Anne and Gilbert from The Anne of Green Gables Series. I actually didn't like Anne of Green Gables much, but reading it in conjunction with the rest of the series made me like the characters
much more. There are eight books all together; and they span Anne's life from her childhood to her fifties, where she is married to Gilbert and trying to raise her children in a nearby harbor village during World War I. The last book is actually about her youngest daughter, Rilla Blythe, but it still includes Anne and Gilbert as a secondary characters.


2. Taran and Eilonwy from The Prydain Chronicles. They weren't very lovey-dovey throughout the series, but I liked the gradual development of their relationship.  In some books Eilonwy was Taran's helpmate, and in others she is the damsel in distress. Lloyd Alexander did a good job of including both scenarios without overdoing either one or being cheesy. They matured together through their adventures (and misadventures), starting out as friends and ending up in love.

3. Jo March and Frederick Bhaer from Little Women. This was actually one of the first classics I ever read, at ten years old, and I totally fell in love with Mr. Bhaer.  Now that I'm older, I still have a soft spot for the ragged German tutor. His patience and tenderness get to me every time, and I often find myself smiling when I think of the scene where he proposes to passionate, hotheaded Jo.

4. Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. Who doesn't like this couple?

5. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games. Team Peeta! Despite the fact that he wasn't a "career tribute" I don't think Katniss would have made it out of the arena without him. She had the brawn (and most of the brains), but he had the emotional stability to keep her sane when she was about to fall apart. Not to mention he was selfless enough to set his mind on saving her rather than himself. When I read the book, I pictured him as a strong, personable, outgoing guy with a heart of solid gold. I liked Katniss too, but to be honest I mostly like the relationship because of Peeta.

6. Rose and Mac from Rose in Bloom. They didn't "fall in love" until near the end of the book, but it was still a cute story.

7. Westley and Buttercup from The Princess Bride. Sometimes I like a light romance, and I classify this as very light. Although the whole story is about Westley trying to rescue his true love from Prince Humperdinck, it's mostly a lighthearted play on princess tales. Gotta love the classics!
 
8. Teagan and Finn from Tyger Tyger.  They knew they liked each other in the beginning of the book, and most of their story consists of fighting to stay together during their struggles. The romantic aspect of the story is a sub-plot to the overall conflict, but the author tied it together well. Unlike most of the heroes and heroines I've mentioned in previous listings, he is more flirtatious and rough around the edges while she is more independent and cynical of  true love.

9. Calina and Marcus Vinicius from Quo Vadis. It's been a long time since I read this book, but I remember they really impressed me. I think it was interesting, because it's a romance  rooted in Christianity. They love each other, but she has to convert him before they can be together, and they both live in Rome at the very beginning of the Christian persecution. To make matters more interesting, he is a Roman soldier. It's not an easy situation, and as you can imagine they end up in a lot of danger together. 

There is so much more I could tell you about this book, but I would have to spoil it for potential readers in the process. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend you do so. Every chapter is worthwhile.

10. Eowyn and Faramir from "The Lord of the Rings." When I first read this book, it really upset me that Aragorn was in love with Arwen. I mean, she's great and all, but what did she do? She was constant and faithful, but she wasn't fighting alongside her "true love" in the battlefield. Yes, she saved Frodo's life in the Fellowship movie, but that wasn't in the book. My favorite female character was Eowyn, because I loved her courage, loyalty, and nobility of spirit — qualities I did not see in Arwen on account of my inexperience. (I was only eleven at the time). There were occasions when I actually cried during the scene where Aragorn told Eowyn that he did not have the same feelings for her.

In hindsight, however, it makes a lot more sense that they wouldn't get together. I think in some ways Aragorn and Eowyn would have harmed each other emotionally. He was tired of the battles he had to fight in order to serve his people, and his courage manifested itself in selfless sacrifice every time took a leadership/warrior role. She, on the other hand, was of a much more ambitious disposition. Although I remember Eowyn's motives being based on admirable ideals like love of family, friends, and homeland, her feelings for Aragorn were born of the courage he displayed in his role of warrior and protector. She found the "something more" she hungered for in him. I mean, come on, who wouldn't be impressed by a charismatic guy who nearly everyone respects and looks to for leadership? Even her Uncle, who she loved like a father, placed a lot of faith in Aragorn's opinion towards the end. I don't believe her motives were wrong, but they were based on who she wanted Aragorn to be rather than who he really was.

Enter Faramir...in one chapter, Tolkien wrote a "love story" that still moves me more than any other fictional couple I can think of. Unlike Eowyn, Faramir did not have the support of a father who fostered nobility in his soul. In fact, I thought Denethor was kind of a jerk to him. But Faramir still grew into a courageous, kindhearted man who was willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of honor and doing what he believed to be right. He recognized the hunger for something above the mundane in Eowyn and treasured this trait in her. She strengthened his courage and goodness, while he reminded her that true honor is not found on the battlefield and in great renown. It's found in a pure heart nourished by virtue and love. 

As you can probably tell, I feel strongly about this, ha ha. Okay...I'm done ranting now.

Anyway, those are my top ten for this week. If you liked them, then keep an eye out for more updates in the future. And if you have an idea for a top ten list that you like me to use because you're curious, feel free to let me know in the comments section. I always enjoy interacting with other bloggers, internet surfers, readers, writers, etc...

Have a great Tuesday.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. You really went off on a rant about Eowyn and Faramir! Loved that though, as I feel the same way as you xD Great post <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, S.J. Yeah...I feel pretty strongly about the Eowyn and Faramir relationship (major LOTR fangirl here). But that's not to say I don't like Aragorn and Arwen. I just get intense when I start talking about literary interpersonal relationships. :-)

    I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete