Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays — Dancing

Recently (today), I saw a post on a fellow blogger's site that caught my attention. The idea was very simple, and it's a great way to share favorite things with you more than once a month  after I've probably forgotten most of the best stuff. It's call Top Ten Tuesdays, and I can't promise that I'll post every week, but I'll post as often as possible. I will just pick a subject each Tuesday and make a list of the top ten items, books, movies, whatever relates to that subject.

Today I've been think a lot about dancing, so I'll share youtube videos of my favorite dances. That way you can see what I'm talking about. (Hint, hint: It's all pretty awesome).

1. Beauty and the Beast. When I thought of dancing stuff, this is the first thing that sprang to mind, ha ha. Yes, I had to add it.

2. Irish River Dance...At A Wedding. I found this video while looking for something else. There are so many cool wedding dance videos out there it's crazy! If I ever marry, people, know that I'm developing expectations, ha ha. (just kidding...sort of).

3. Masquerade. This one is actually more personal for me, because I dance it quite often with my folk dancing group. It's a parody of the three classes. The rich class is the first part, where they have their noses kind of stuck in the air. The second part, with the waltz, is the middle class. And the last part, where they kick up their heels and have lots of fun, is the poor class.

4. Fiddler on the Roof — "To Life" Dance Scene. I chose the live performance version because I thought it felt more pressured that the movie, if that makes sense. They've got one go, and if they screw up they screw up. For me, that makes the shows more interesting.

5. Mixed Scandinavian Performance. I actually had the pleasure of being in the audience when this video was taken (it's not mine). If I remember correctly, they actually travelled to Oregon all the way from Norway.

6. Sweidish Clap Dance. This is another one that I've danced. I chose this particular video, because you can see what the dancers are doing better than in the other videos. Also, it crosses over with music, because they use a Hardanger fiddle, which is one of my favorite musical instruments. (Also Howard Shore's apparently, since it was one of the main instruments used in the LOTR Rohan Theme. It's the heart-breakingly beautiful fiddle sound you hear).

7. Scottish Foursome Reel. Just because...

8. Hallingdans. Because I have to, he he. 

Well, it looks like it has to be eight for now. I won't have any more time today, but next week I'll be sure to include all ten. Hopefully you enjoy them.
 

Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. This is a fun top 10! :D Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S.J :-). I really love dancing, and I couldn't think of a better subject for my first attempt. Sorry I didn't mention where this idea came from earlier (I had to run out the door as I finished the post), but I just went back and added a link to your new blog.

      Delete