Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Summer Reading 2014 Book Review — Austenland

Wow...I did not think I'd be writing any reviews so soon, but this book is really quick and hard to put down. Therefore, I will share a few thoughts with you while it's still fresh in my mind. (Note: I will do my best to avoid spoilers, but I will be giving away a few details. Be warned.)





Description

Jane is a young New York woman who can never seem to find the right man — perhaps because of her secret obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaption of Pride and Prejudice. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths to her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-obsessed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become more real than she ever could have imagined. Is this total immersion in a fake Austenland enough to make Jane kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?


Things I Loved

Jane Hayes was more believable in the book than in the movie. Shannon Hale didn't depict her as being a Darcy obsessive for Darcy's sake alone. Rather, her infatuation with the character came from a long history of negative relationships with men she wanted to love the way Austen's heroines loved their heroes. What Jane craved was something deeper than what I've heard called "recreational dating," and she wasn't finding it with any "real" men in her life.

Also, I liked the comparison of the two main romantic interests (I think everyone can guess this is a romance novel, right?)Yes, the ending was predictable, but it was fun to watch Jane's perception of the characters throughout the story.

Ms. Charming was adorable! She didn't have as prominent a part in the book, but she still brought a smile to my lips every time she entered a scene. "Cheerio!"

The situation was real. This is a romantic Austen spin-off novel with outlandish scenarios, but there is a depth to the story that comes from its real world problems. What happens if you're a woman who wants "something more" in a relationship and isn't satisfied with the superficial, lovey-dovey, feelings that only last for a week, or a few months, or even a few years? Jane wants forever! She wants to get married and be a mother with a man she loves who wants to be a father. But none of the men she tries to date are interested in more than dating. Is she being too demanding? Is there something wrong with what she wants? Is she just the kind of person who is born to be a spinster? These are real questions girls and women ask themselves. Austenland simply uses a fun setting in which to deal with these issues. 

Things I Didn't Love

I realize Jane Hayes is a modern-world woman of thirty-two, and I don't recall reading any clues that she had a religious affiliation, but I didn't agree with every conclusion she came to about love and relationships. She goes to Austenland in order to have one last total immersion in her obsession before swearing off men and Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy for good. But while she's there (Spoiler Alert!) she let's herself have a "fling" with one of the romantic interests. Her reasoning is that she's too intense about love, wanting men to commit to her on the first date, and she needs to relax. As a Catholic, I think it's perfectly acceptable to enter a courtship scenario with an expectation that, should it be God's will for things to work out, you will one day marry the person you're going out with. That's not to say you should bombard the other person with serious questions at first, when you're still getting to know them, or agonize over every little detail of your relationship. But I didn't quite agree with Jane's view of things — or how she chose to handle the situation. I did, however, like the ending when the true hero said (SPOILER ALERT), "I need to admit up front that I don't know how to have a fling. I'm not good at playing around and then saying good-bye. I'm throwing myself at your feet because I'm hoping for a shot at forever. You don't have to say anything now, no promises required. I just thought you should know."

Yeah...I like to think she eventually marries the guy.
Conclusion

I, personally, would not recommend this book to someone under sixteen. But, having said that, I LOVED IT!!!!! Romance novels usually don't appeal to me, but this one definitely had enough going on underneath the surface to make the reading worthwhile. 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.   
  




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you read this book! It's one of my favorites. Everything you said, I completely agree with :) This book was just so fun with some deep elements. I loved it and glad you did too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my favorite books now too. :-)

      Delete